Friday, August 31, 2007

The sexy secretary's day clutch

I'm often at odds with what's touted as the 'hot new look' for the season or the 'must-have' item that without, would render my wardrobe incomplete.

Case in point: this Fall's hot new look -- the Sexy Secretary. The word 'secretary' conjures two images in my mind: The first, a dowdy, pinch-nosed, slightly overweight matron, in a dark boxy suit, and sensible heels. The second: TESS -- Working Girl -- big-haired, gum-snapping, Staten Island brawd, in poly-blended two piece suit, Reeboks, and socks.

"How do I look?"
"You look great -- you might want to rethink the jewelry though..."

Women who mean business take heed--the playing field has changed. If you've got a head for business and a bod for sin, it's apparently the time to use it. Waist-cinching belts over slim-fitting slim-line dresses, tailored jackets over silky blouses with plunging necklines and silky ties at the neck (oh, behave!); dangerously high stilettos (the better to serve you coffee in); and well let's just add in a pair of long, black leather gloves, a whip, and a bee-hive hair-do while we're at it.

I own one clutch, and it's black peau-de-soie fabric, with suede accent, that I used at two black-tie events I recently attended. A clutch by design is small, and sleek, and can't hold more than a lipstick, eyeliner, credit card, stick of gum or an altoid, and coat check. A clutch says, I'm so put together, that I don't need a handbag the size of a small carry-on to get through the day. It says I can leave my apartment with just my lipgloss, ID, ATM card, and metrocard, and be ready to take on the world.

When I'm turning the pages of LUCKY, Vogue, or Bazaar and see new trends identified my first reaction is usually -- must buy entire new wardrobe, and donate old wardrobe to local Housing Works store. But this time, before I whip out my Visa, I do the following: I put down the magazine, count to ten, and take several few breaths. I step away.

I take a second look, and break it down piece-by-piece. What can I take away from this new trend report? The Sexy Secretary, although sexy, is a relatively conservative approach to business dressing that would actually work best on a curvy woman. Embrace your curves, don't hide them! And though I like to think that my large handbag when held close to my waist and hips, dwarfs the size of them, making me look smaller, maybe it is time to get rid of it since it leaves a dent in my shoulder (because it's filled with the entire contents of my apartment), and simplify my life by carrying a smaller bag.

Take what you can from the magazines this fall. Leave everything else on the pages where they're pretty to look at and fantasize about. We're just a few short months away from another season, and a new trend.

No comments: